Monday 9 November 2009

Alien...


I've always loved watching Alien because not only is it one of the greatest Sci-Fi films ever made, but for me, it is one of the best films ever made. I've never seen the director's cut before and it is such a Ridley Scott thing to do (is there any Ridley Scott films that don't have a director's cut) but for me there didn't seem to much of a difference, although twas a little while ago since last saw this film. It's definitely a classic and manages to keep you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end, despite some dodgy CGI. I love the way that it never gets old either, the Alien is probably the most iconic figure of all Sci-Fi films. Anyone who hasn't seen Aliens, should, because as it suggests there are more than one of these things and yet again they are desperate to breed, eat and kill. I particularly like the cinematography for this film and the production design because there's so much detail on the Alien and the spaceships. I've never really looked at its deeper meaning with the whole sexual orientation because, to me, it's a film that should be admired for its visual aesthetic, and like the Matrix, i feel people often overlook the point behind the film. Its purpose is to entertain and therefore i feel philosophical ideals are just made up, although it looking at H. R. Giger's work you can see the reasons why people see the sexual orientation. As for the end parts where Ripley gets undressed, i don't see the big issue, i believe it was just to show vulnerability because right when she least suspected it, the Alien popped up again. I prefer to watch and admire great films insted of reading into them, becaause i feel it starts to ruin the effect of a film. Although, i do often find myself analysing the film and keeping an eye out for continuity errors so i can say that these moviemakers are actually human after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment