Saturday 30 October 2010

Adaptation Review...



Adaptation is a 2002 American comedy-drama film directed by Spike Jonze and written by Charlie Kaufman. 'Frequently cynical screenwriter Charlie Kaufman has just taken on a new assignment. That is, to adapt writer Susan Orlean's "The Orchid Thief" into a screenplay, all of it based on the life of the eccentric John Laroche, an exotic plant collector based out of Florida. While his easygoing twin brother Donald, is writing scripts with ease, Charlie finds himself on a perpetual struggle that never seems to end.'

Adaptation was a very clever film, with an underlying point emphasising how we are so obsessed with Hollywood plots and narrative. I was amazed that most of the class found the film ok and interesting as my honest opinion was that the storyline was uninteresting and never enticed me, until the ending which was a much more enjoyable experience, thus making it's underlying point as the ending was a Hollywood plot whereas the rest of the film wasn't. The reason I wasn't enticed by the film could be because I'm also used to Hollywood plots, however I 'enjoyed' funny games which follows more of an arthouse plot, as do films like pans labyrinth which I'm also a big fan of. Therefore, I would say that it was mainly because the film wasn't of any interest to me personally, and didn't play to my taste. After what I found to be a dull beginning and middle, the film seemed to pick up at the end with more of an action-packed and eventful story plot. Switching between two different stories, I found Adaptation to be slightly confusing at times finding it hard to follow what was going on. Overall, Adaptation isn't my kind of film at all, with an unenticing and slightly confusing narrative, although the ending made the film slightly more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment